Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Ramadan

Yesterday marked the end of Ramadan, the month of fasting for Muslims, where they refrain from eating, drinking, smoking or indulging from dawn until sunset.
It reminded me of being in Bosnia and Herzegovina during Ramadan.

While in Sarajevo, I heard a cannon fire at 7:20 p.m. the first night I was there. Seeing as I had spent the entire day learning about the siege of Sarajevo, it startled me.
Nothing followed the initial blast so I didn’t think anything of it until it happened again the next night.
Turns out it is the marker for the end of the day of fasting.
In Mostar, a city in the south of the country, it was even more marked, with cannon fire, fireworks and loud music marking the chance for Muslims to eat again.
It was a very cool experience being in cities where Muslims and Christians mesh so well.
I know it wasn't always like that and hope the peace is permanent.

No comments: