Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Mosquito Heaven North of 50 - One Girl's Battle with the Bugs

So after repetitive cycles of hot, steamy weather and thunderstorms, the only reason I believe I am somewhere besides Thailand, is the complete lack of Thai food.

I don’t know what’s going on with this weather, but the last time I was this hot and sticky I was surrounded by monks dressed in orange and sleeping under a mosquito net.

And honestly if this weather pattern keeps up I might have to start thinking about a mosquito net for here. Usually self-respecting mosquitoes stick to two times of day, dawn and dusk. There are so many of the little blood suckers that at 10 a.m. there is one licking it’s lips and looking at me.

Wait, do mosquitoes have lips?

Point being, I am slowly becoming covered with the tell-tale welts that reveal my seemingly nasty allergy to mosquito bites.

Even when I am wearing deep-woods, deet-infused bug repellent I can hear their high pitch whine as they look for a safe place to land. Then the whine stops. And people I am sitting with are treated to my mini dance as I trash about trying to figure out where it landed and trying to kill it before it bites me.

I guess I should count my blessings though, at least they are not the malaria-carrying Anopheles, or I would be in a lot more trouble that simply uncomfortable.

If I am looking as the positives, at least this weather has meant much shortened season of the funny, green worms that hang off the trees on spider-web-like silk.

On the other hand, I seem to prefer the areas of the world that have Anopheles.

No comments: