Monday, December 17, 2007

The Arsenal/Chelsea Match

Arsenal played Chelsea tonight right after Liverpool played Manchester United making it a big night for football (soccer).

My trip across the city proved to me exactly how football crazy Ugandans are! The bars were all packed with people standing outside. I could hear the commentary from the bars as I sat in the vehicle moving through the city. Every location with a television was tuned into the match.

About 15 minutes after I arrived home Arsenal scored. I could tell by the cheering. I live a 10 minute walk from the nearest bar that televises the game, and I felt like I was at the game. Sitting in the house I could hear as the neighbourhood erupt into cheering! A few minutes later a text from my friend Ibrahim confirmed my guess. Arsenal 1, Chelsea 0.

I would say Saskatchewan Riders fans have nothing on Arsenal fans in Uganda.

No comments: