Saturday, August 23, 2008

Bombs Away

I was listening to my grandmother talk about life in her village during the Second World War. She was saying how sometimes they would have to abandon their homes to hide out in the woods during bombings. That’s how her mother lost her job.

Apparently the American military was aiming for a road being created from the north of Italy straight through to Poland to help the Nazis move (whatever it was they were moving). Anyway, they missed. Instead the military hit the peanut oil factor where my Nona’s (grandmother’s) mom worked. Employment over. I understand now why they all left their homes – mistakes like that are costly for lives.

I made a typically snide remark about American Intelligence – mentioning the bombing of the Chinese Embassy in the Balkans.

"I think they make mistakes even now,” Nona said knowingly.

It seems that when it comes to bombing things from a plane things haven’t changed much drop the bomb and hope for the best.

No comments: