Tuesday, December 8, 2009

How's the weather over there?

It is so cold, it hurts.
How does cold hurt, you ask?
Well for all you warm people from somewhere other than north-central Saskatchewan and don’t understand what -35 C actually means, I’ll tell you.

1. When you spend two seconds outside, even while wearing gloves, your fingers start to freeze. It makes my knuckles ache.
2. The cold wind literally sucks the moisture out of you. I have cold rashes and dry skin on my hands, face, lips, hips, arms and parts of the body you just really don’t want dried, cracking skin.
3. When you breathe in, it feels cold all the way down to your lungs.
4. You shake and your teeth chatter uncontrollably.
5. Snow hides nails, so when frantically jogging across the parking lot to get out of the cold, you step on an old board and puncture both your shoe and the bottom of your foot with a rusty nail.

Admittedly the last one was less of the cold hurting and more of my being a klutz, but I wouldn’t have taken the route I did except to cut down time and get out of the cold.
The good news is I have had a tetanus shot in the last 10 years.
The bad news is that it’s still really cold.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is cold Angela and I know how you feel because I grew up in Calgary and I lived in Saskatoon for a year and it was a nasty winter that year. Believe it or not, it is nasty cold here too. That north wind off the ocean is very cold and it gets right into your bones. So we are cold across the Country I think, just in different ways. Heh do your nose hairs freeze? I remember that one thing for sure. LOL