Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Eid al-Adha

I was invited to the local mosque for Eid al-Adha, the last day of the Hajj and a festival celebrated by Muslims worldwide.

The so-called sacrifice festival is to honour Abraham, who nearly sacrificed his own son to prove to God how devote he was. God then told Abraham that it was a test and sent him a ram to slaughter.

This sounded very familiar to me, having heard the story from the bible many times.

The women that invited me were thrilled I figured this out.

“Yes, it’s the same,” they told me over and over, before pointing out several other prophets that are the same.

One God shared by many religions. Too bad we all can’t see the similarities.

The mosque is a small store front in a strip mall, but the community gathers the same as if they were shouting the call to prayers from a minaret.

Here are some images from Nov. 27.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

You really have high-quality content here I also have a blog on this kindly check that outEId al adha SMS IN english