Sunday, August 1, 2010

Checking

Since the explosion of two bombs, in Kampala, in early July, security checkpoints of sprung up everywhere.
I’ve had my bag search and my body patted down more times in the last few days than in the Seattle airport.
The checkpoints are at higher end stores, entrances to hotels, malls, and hospitals. They are at some of the entrances to the taxi parks.
This is where is becomes confusing. Why only some of the entrances and why am I only checked sometimes?
Also I get the feeling that many of these security guards, armed with their metal detecting wands, have no idea what they are looking for and less idea of what to do if they found something.
I guess it’s good that the government wants to protect the people, but I’m not sure how much more secure people feel.

No comments: