Monday, February 11, 2008

Dodging Police

This morning after dashing out of my house and hoping on the first taxi that says he is heading to the new taxi park, I got a surprise.
We ran into a small detour. While trying to avoid waiting in line at the light, the taxi driver decided to cross the centre line and drive down the middle of the road. Unfortunately for him, and ultimately us, police were coming up that side. So he did what any slightly criminal (read all) taxi driver would do - made the first turn off.
We drove down a narrow gravel lane and into a market area, where the driver flipped off the engine and left. The conductor (money collector) joined him, and the two of the melted into the crowd as the police followed us in.
I was trying not to show my concern as everyone in the taxi chatted about the turn of events in Luganda. No one was getting out, so I figured saying put was the best option. That and I was so far in the back, I couldn't have gotten out if I wanted to.
We sat and waited as the police arrested another driver, who was following us in his private car. Apparently this driver was a local politician - I could feel the police rubbing their hands in glee - the bribe they would likely receive from him would be huge.
Eventually the police left. The driver and conductor materialized and we continued on our way.
The worst part is we were still charged the full rate.

All of this was before 10 am - it is going to be a long day.

No comments: