Friday, February 1, 2008

Introduction

A while back, I had the opportunity to attend an Introduction. Not only did I attend the event, at the last minute I was given the chance to be in it. But I am getting ahead of my self.

An Introduction is Uganda’s answer to an engagement party, but they are more important than the wedding. Historically, these were the wedding. The man’s extended family would be welcomed to the bride’s family’s house. The couple would be introduced and a price would be decided on.

Now, the couple often has known each other for a long time before the “Introduction” but much of the tradition is still followed – just more lavish and beautiful.

The bride’s family hosted the groom’s family (the bako) on January 31st. I was part of the welcoming party, I was to wear a kiyoki and greet the bako.

Now, let me explain the kiyoki – it is a blanket. When I received it, I looked at the bride horrified.

“That’s it?”
“No you wear it with that gold ribbon,” she told me laughing.
“But how am I going to put it on?”
“You will find someone to help you.”

So on the day of the Introduction I am waiting, dressed in Western clothes – the Kiyoki in a bag, for my ride. She is running really late, so the group I am travelling with and I are waiting in the sun when they notice the bag I am holding. I explain it is my outfit and I have no idea how to wear it. Naomi, one of the people who works in counselling, pulls me behind the nearest building. It happens to be a snack shop near the Outpatient department.

Off comes my shirt, bra straps are tucked out of the way, the purple blanket is wrapped around me twice, tightly. One safety pin, a well hidden belt and the gold ribbon later, I am afraid to breath, for fear of loosing the dress, but I am ready to go.

I am pretty convinced I looked like a sausage; however everyone else disagreed with my opinion. I have never had so many catcalls, compliments, and comments in my life.

That aside I preformed my role at the Introduction, smiling as per instructions, and without loosing the dress, as per my fears and was amazed at the entire event.

The price of the bride was paid and included, but was not limited to: a refrigerator, two goats, more boxes of splash juice then I could count, a chicken, half a cow (don’t ask), pineapples, blue brand, bread, vegetables, matoke, fruit, salt, sugar, the list goes on. It took nearly 30 minutes to bring in all the gifts.

All and all it was a very impressive event and I was so grateful for the opportunity to attend. And fortunately I am here for the wedding also…

2 comments:

Jai Jai said...

Hello!
Your skin look like Asian people now! And you look good with dress.

Jai

Anonymous said...

Like I told you when I was there and saw this picture, you looked absolutely beautiful and radiant. No sausage there at all!
Love Linda