Friday, February 15, 2008

Why We Love Uganda

I woke up this morning when someone text me about the amazing article in the paper... despite the positive feedback it is one of my least favourite... but usually that's how is works. I leave it here for you to decide.

Falling in love with Uganda
Thursday, 14th February, 2008
By Angela Hill

TO understand why expatriates love Uganda so much, you have to see the country through our eyes. I arrived four months ago on a plane from Amsterdam crammed full of people. I was surprised to see there were more white faces on the plane then black — holidaying families, sports teams, groups of aid workers and UN representatives. Many of these people were returning to Uganda

I had heard that an addiction to the country comes after living here for only six months, but in the beginning, I did not think much about it. I was not going to be here that long and my main concern was surviving in an East African city.

See, I had also heard about crime, potholes and something called CHOGM.
However, the people who mentioned the bad, did not mention all the good of the country.

I, like most people in Kampala, survived CHOGM without too many problems and fortunately, I have yet to even be pick-pocketed. Every time I hit potholes, I am packed into a vehicle with at least 15 other smiling people; even though the sign on the outside of the taxi says it can carry only 14 people.

Now, I have changed the departure date for my plane ticket so many times, I am on a first-name basis with the KLM staff. I will definitely be here for longer than six months, but it is too late for me, I am already addicted to Uganda.

My love affair with Uganda started shortly after I arrived. It started around the same time that I learned how to cross the road without being knocked by a taxi, hang on to a boda boda and bargain with vendors.

I went from clinging to the poor boda boda driver, scared to death, to being so comfortable I am able to SMS friends while weaving in and out of traffic.

Even though I have been here for four months, I have not ventured very far out of the city, with the exception of Christmas in Kamuli district, but I have not felt the urge to leave either.

As a city girl, I know what makes a good city and Kampala has what it takes — just with more mud. Walking down Kampala Road in smart clothes and heeled shoes, I could be in any Western city.

There are skyscrapers, banks, shopping centres and well-dressed business men and women. Sure there are also ridiculous amounts garbage and the occasional pothole that a car could disappear into, but the good far outweighs the crazy taxi drivers.

People go out of their way to talk to you. There is so much colour, the night life is fantastic, the weather is usually great (although lately it has been a little cold) and here, I feel free.

A sense of belonging is the base of the expatriates’ addiction to Uganda. But, it is the people that make it impossible for Uganda to leave our hearts. The hospitality many of us have experienced here is second to none.

A friend of mine told me she loves the people here, because “everyone here walks around with a smile on their face regardless what they are doing.”

Other people mention that in their interactions with Ugandans, the people are willing to learn and their “positive attitudes make it a joy to share ideas and explore ways to help.”

Right after the Ugandan people, we love the beauty of the country. One friend said: “Uganda really lives up to its reputation of the Pearl of Africa.”

One of the best parts is the love Ugandans have for their own country. Ugandans smile as they work, laugh off the daily obstacles and care for each other.

A text I received says it best: “May God guard you like Daniel, favour you like Joseph, spare you like Noah, may his love for you flow like floods in eastern Uganda. May your worries and sorrows disappear like UMEME power, enemies be confused like the MPs, be as popular as CHOGM and above all be loved like Mabira.”

Uganda rocks, pre-CHOGM and post-CHOGM and I recommend it for anyone looking to find a place to love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen Angela, Amen! Uganda gets in your blood because of it's beauty and mostly because of it's people. I love the heart and spirit of the people. They bring such joy to your life. I was hooked the first time I went there and I was only there for one week the first time. I envy you being able to be there for so long. Enjoy your time and God bless you for bringing such awareness to this wonderful place and it's precious people. Blessings, Linda