Thursday, May 29, 2008

Kibera


So I was in Nairobi a couple of days ago and for part of my very brief city tour I asked to see Kibera, the second largest ‘slum’ in Africa (only after Soweto).

I learned that this was where much of the violence took place during the Kenyan Crisis. They are rebuilding now, as a community, erecting new stalls in places where some were burnt down, repairing the church that was torched, and digging peace gardens in ditches that were full of the rubble.

I also learned something else. The people of Kibera were those that tore up the tracks, which stopped fuel from moving into Uganda. I was angry for a brief moment – transport during that time had been horrendous! But, then I learned why.

Museveni had sent in many Ugandan soldiers to help quell the violence and support the corrupt government. These soldiers had killed many people. Those in Kibera were just fighting back.

Suddenly the fuel doesn’t seem so expensive.

No comments: