Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Fish Friday

Every Friday since the end of March has involved a fish that has been grilled to perfection in a secret place with my two closest friends in Uganda.

We named it Fish Friday and it has been the site of joy, sorrow, birthdays, and celebrations.

Today I am breaking the first rule of Fish Friday – which is never to talk about Fish Friday. But, I feel the urge to share exactly how amazing a BBQ Nile perch can be!!

It comes with grilled matoke, and soda. You eat with your fingers, and it comes with the head, tail and all the fins still on.

I am not longer squimsh about eating things with eyes. In fact according to one of my friends the eyes are the best part – he also gets the ones from my fish.

This feast we keep on the down-low because it so cheap, and if word gets out, if the muzungus come the price will rise.

So each week we look forward to Friday, and this week we say goodbye. It is the last Fish Friday before I leave Uganda, and both my fish friends said it won’t be the same without me.

But for now I look forward to Friday, only two days left!

2 comments:

Kristine said...

Hey Ang :)
It's great to see that you're still alive and doing your best to enjoy yourself...although I have to admit I really miss your regular blog updates, my day doesn't quite seem complete without some insightful comments from yourself! My recommendation for the rest of the week: run yourself silly so you won't have time to be sad or frustrated or worried or anything until it's too late ;)
Luv ya and talk soon!
Kris

Anonymous said...

Oh I will miss your blogs too Angela, you have such a wonderful way of capturing Uganda. I feel like I am back there when I read your words. Also I feel like I am experiencing some of the adventures I never got to take by reading yours. Fish Friday sounds wonderful by the way, I have only had the fresh Tilapia and that was mouthwatering to me. May you and your mom be blessed your last couple days and give hugs to everyone there. Make sure Persis has lots of kleenex!!!!
Travel safe and thank you for all the fun adventures.
Love Linda