Friday, August 28, 2009

A walk in the park?

The difference between hiking and mountaineering is subtle until one is actually on the side of a mountain.
Then it becomes extremely obvious.
Hiking is a gentle stroll through alpine meadows while singing and enjoying water from little streams.
Mountaineering is virtually climbing – clinging to cliffs, scrambling across rocks and sliding down trails of slippery shale.
I, unfortunately, was not hiking. And I didn’t realize it until stepping off the gondola at 2,300 metres.
Then I was committed, or I should have been.
Everyone I was with kept pointing out beautiful little wildflowers or the amazing views. I’m not going to lie. I didn’t see much except the next place I would put my foot.
In the end, my experience on Mt. Kanin, in North West Slovenia, was positive.
I survived, had only two moments of refusing to step any further and ate delicious soup at a little mountain hut, the fourth highest in all the Alps.
Today the biggest climb I will make, is out of bed.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Very cute, my dear.