Wednesday, March 26, 2008

BRAT in Uganda

Dinner last night left something to be desired.

I am on the BRAT diet – Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast. It’s for people whose stomachs are not quite right and it works because these four are gentle foods that are easy to digest. I started it because my stomach has been trying to reject nearly everything I have eaten for the last week.

So now I am doing the BRAT diet, Ugandan style.

Back to dinner last night, the main course was gonja, a roasted banana; I don’t really like raw bananas so it’s a good alternative. It was served with pita bread because I don’t have a toaster. For desert I dined on babyfood, it was the closest I got to apple sauce – you try explaining the concept of pureed fruit to Ugandans. They want to know why I just didn’t want an apple. So, I found myself buying the most expensive applesauce ever, it was pureed for a 5 month old and had no sugar added.

Oh, and the label said not to eat out of the jar because any leftovers would spoil. I ignored the warning, fairly confident I would be able to polish off a 100ml jar. I was right.

I am looking forward to a variation of the same for dinner tonight too. Goody. I need to start feeling better fast, I am dying for Indian food.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear I hope you feel better soon Angela. What have you been eating that has made you feel sick again? I hope not raw meat!!!! I pray you are well sooner than later so you can eat something more substantial, maybe not the Indian food right off the bat though. Just a suggestion : )