Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Reflection on People

“I hope this doesn’t make you hate people in Africa,” my friend said when I told her the whole story. She like many people think the whole conflict started because of money.

I never even considered it. When one of the people I was closest to in Uganda showed her true colours and began lying about me, I couldn’t figure it out. I still can’t, but it doesn’t change my opinion that Ugandans as a whole are the loveliest people.

For all the hurt I feel due to the actions of one person, and believe me right now there is a LOT of hurt, ever other friend I have in this country has stepped up and supported me. People have breakfast, lunch and dinner out with me. Friends are helping me find a new place to live. Acquaintances are offering up apartment space until I find my own house. Family members of friends are sending me food and offering furniture for when I find a place.

People in Uganda are still some of my favourite people in the world. Don’t worry your reputation, as the most hospitable and friendly people in Africa, is still intact. One person cannot change how I feel about this place or the amazing people who live here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry this has happened to you Angela. I know how much this has hurt you but I am happy that you have not lost your love and zest for Uganda and the wonderful people there. You are a great asset to Uganda and their causes so keep up the good work and don't let this upset cloud your wonderful memories you have to take home with you. Sounds like you are already well on your way to a forgiving heart. Bless you, Linda