Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Taxis

I love riding in taxis.

Boda-bodas are great too, efficient, and fun with the thrill of danger, but they are expensive.

Taxis are my favourite. Where else can you sit four people in three seats, with chickens under your seat, a goat in the trunk and all for less than sh 1,000 ($0.60 CAN).

This morning was crazy. The driver saw me walking up my hill and waved, I raised my eye brows in response. He swerved over and screeched to a stop and the conductor jumped out to watch me get closer.

“Wandageryakampalaroadjinjaroad,” he bellowed in a giant mouthful.

I stopped for a second, and realized it was definitely the taxi I wanted, as it was heading down Kampala road (the main drag).

I hopped in the conductor closed the door, narrowly missing my foot, and we were driving again before my butt had even hit the seat.

Two minutes later we pulled up to the first stage. A stage is where bodas or taxis congregate – it is like a bus stop, except taxis will drop you off or pick you up from anywhere.

Our conductor (the fare collector) started snaking people headed for the taxi parked ahead of us. This didn’t please that conductor who started yelling and slammed the door to our taxi closed.

Our conductor reopened it and continued filling out taxi. The other guy came over and closed it again.

This continued a couple more times before we peeled away from the cur and went speeding down the road again, then it happened at two or three other stages. Our conductor started overcharging the locals as they were getting off. You may get away with overcharging a muzungu but the other Ugandans let him have it. I maintain all conductors and taxi drivers are criminals.

People may read this and ask why I like riding taxis.

It’s simple, where else can a bus ride to town turn into a soap opera, national geographic flick, and front seat to a car race.

No comments: