Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Cockroaches

Cockroaches, why did it have to be cockroaches?

Seriously Indiana Jones' fear of snakes came nothing to my paralyzing fear of so many cockroaches.

In fact as we walked into my new apartment after the first (of three) days of fumigating, another line from Indiana Jones came to mind. This quote was from the movie, Temple of Doom.

“The floor, it feels like I am walking on fortune cookies.”

And in my case, just like that one, it wasn’t fortune cookies. The crunching was bug carcases. Nearly two full, small grocery bags and two days later, I couldn’t take it anymore and called in the professionals.

I sponsored a genocide, there was not a living insect in that house when he was done.

A good scrubbing, and a white-wash job that would have made Huckleberry Finn proud and the place looks liveable.

Although I am sure the first night in my apartment I will have nightmares of the cockroaches climbing/falling out of the door-frames and dying on my floor.

The following picture is not for the squeamish.

I would like to point out that until more than one of the ones that survived the first round began crawling up my leg, I handled it all well. Then I had a completely muzungu-girl style freak-out! Complete with hyperventilating, crying and screaming. Then I calmed down, went inside and continued to clean.

1 comment:

Kigozi Petero said...

Word. They're the one varmint that you can never seem to get rid of entirely. I'm not even female, and I'm pretty sure I would have had a muzungu-girl scream looking at that floor. Hang in there...