Monday, April 14, 2008

Will you? No.

I was leaving the Surgery, the expat doctor’s office in Kampala. More on that as soon as I know. I’m feeling lousy and sure I look it. I flag down the first boda rider I see.

We sort out where I am going and the cost.

He is impressed I can do it all in Luganda.

“Where do you come from?”

Canada

“And you stay in Uganda?”

“Yes”

“Are you married?” This question comes up more times than I can count.

“No”

“You are single? Me too.”

“That’s nice” Honestly I just want to get there I feel gross and not so talkative.

“How old are you? Are you young?”

“I think I am young, 25”

“I’m 22.”

“Okay” We are getting closer, just a couple more minutes. He is quiet for about one of them then,

“Do you think a relationship is possible? You are beautiful. I need a white woman and a relationship between a white woman and an African man is good”

I nearly fall off the boda. That was the most direct proposition I have had yet. While recovering from the shock we pull up to the destination.

“No, a relationship is not possible”

I hand him my money as his face falls and walk away.

That was a new one.

1 comment:

david santos said...

Great work.
I loved this post and this blog.
I love Uganda!
Have a nice day.