Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Not a joke

Today my trip back to Mengo (home) from the old taxi park (town) felt like the longest I had ever been on.

Directly behind me a Catholic and a born-again Christian (Pentecostal) were arguing, very loudly, over whose religion was right.

It went something like this:

“But I have been baptized and confirmed my faith, I go to confession, I don’t need to be born-again.” said the Catholic

“Yes, but you cannot ride on baptism alone, you need to tell Jesus personally that he is your Saviour…” said the Pentecostal.

I know this is sounding like the beginning of a bad joke, and I wish it was, but it isn't.

Their conversation grew louder and more heated.

“Your version of the bible is wrong,” was yelled out.

“Just repent, repent and be saved,” said other as she got out of the taxi.

Seriously people, for the most part you believe in the same thing – God Good, Jesus died, You were saved. You would think to hear an argument like that between one of the local Hare Krishna’s and a Christian, but nope – it’s all infighting.

I couldn’t get off the taxi fast enough, as I person from the argument that remained seemed bent on making sure everyone else knew he was right.

No comments: